h g

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Little peep

Rafe's kindergarten teacher got an incubator and some hatching eggs for their class this spring. Quite an exciting event for them! I don't remember how many eggs they started out with but finally 3 hatched, right during class on Thursday. So they made these cute "The chicks are here!" hats, and got to show off their chicks to the whole rest of the school.

I am so going to wear that hat every time I get a new batch of chicks this summer.



His teacher had already talked to me about taking the chicks after they hatched, and she was ready to re-home them after school on Friday. 2 of the 3 had bad legs. So the janitor was good enough to take them. (As Rafe's teacher explained, he had a special place for them.) And one little chick got to come and live with us.

Rafe named him Peep.



Peep is too small to stick in the brooder with the 3-week-old broiler chicks. So we put him in a Rubbermaid tote with a heat lamp hung above it. But chicks are like most animals. They don't like to be alone. I had one runt in my batch of broiler chicks so I pulled him out and stuck him in the box with Peep.



Whenever Big Chick eats, Little Peep eats. Whenever Big Chick drinks, Little Peep drinks. Quite cute!

Peep is a broiler, but I've promised Rafe we won't butcher Peep. So after he gets big enough I guess he'll get to go free-range with the laying hens.

That should be interesting.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww! Your such a good mom:) Cute little things aren't they?

Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So adorable! He'll make an interesting addition to the layer flock!! :)

Monday, April 28, 2008 7:50:00 AM  
Blogger QuiltedSimple said...

So adorable - perhaps he can be the laying flocks' mascot??
Kris

Monday, April 28, 2008 9:22:00 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

So cute!

My son's daycare class had an incubator last spring and hatched NINE chicks... then they kept them in the classroom for about six weeks. They were huge! And did I mention this was the one-year-old toddler class? Good times. But now that he can talk, he still remembers the eggs and the chickens!

Monday, April 28, 2008 1:22:00 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen said...

You and your husband provide such wonderfully enriching activities for your children and they seem to be experiencing such great childhoods. I love reading your blog (and viewing your beautiful photos) because it gives me a chance to live vicariously on a small Iowa farm. Your family, and other Iowa farm families like yours, give me hope for our country's future.

Monday, April 28, 2008 1:27:00 PM  
Blogger Tipper said...

How nice!

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:31:00 PM  
Blogger Jeannelle said...

So cute! I like Rafe's name and Peep's, too! Good choice. And Peep's future is secure.....good for him!

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:14:00 AM  
Blogger Laughing Orca Ranch said...

hehe...Peep is like the Little Brother emulating his Big Brother.
So cute!

I like that Peep will have a special place on your farm, too. You guys have such a soft heart.

Are you positive that Peep is a rooster?

And I do hope that you will post a pic of you wearing that adorable hat??

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 11:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home