h g

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

44

That's how many birds we ended up losing. 44 out of 96. Heartbreaking. I dreamt of chickens all night long.

All of this had me feeling like a pretty crappy farmer. But then I was talking to Matt last night about what things we can do differently with the next batch. And he told me he was proud of me for sticking with it, for planning to do it again after a loss like this. And I realized yes, I've got it, stick-to-itiveness and optimism. What makes any farmer raise livestock or plant crops another year, in spite of the heartbreak that can and does happen? Stick-to-itiveness and optimism. (And in some cases, crop insurance.)

So maybe I'm a real farmer after all. Or becoming one, anyway, with "experience" (read "lots of mistakes" ).

I really am looking forward to August when I can try again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rurality said...

Lots of cybers hugs to you. I'm glad you're going to try again!

Wednesday, June 08, 2005 9:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You get extra points for persevering. Everyone has second thoughts. Not everyone has second chances!

But what CAN you do to avoid this next time? Are there techniques or devices? Fans? Mists? Iced tea? Can you anticipate the problem?

Keep the faith!

Thursday, June 09, 2005 6:35:00 PM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Did you ever find out what might have happened to them? Did the folks at the farm forums have any insights. Another great place to hang out is the Farm Life forum at the Garden Web.

I'm glad this won't keep you from trying again. Regard, Suzanne

Thursday, June 09, 2005 7:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking for a pair of Salmon Faverolles for pets to add to my collection of other birds. I have a wide variety, and these are the only ones I can't seem to find. So if you have any to sell I sure would love to buy them from you or if know someone who has some for sale, please pass my name along to them. Your bird and photos look great!Nancy

Friday, June 24, 2005 12:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home